Friday, April 15, 2005

Fried Banana


Goreng Pisang a.k.a. Fried Banana ? Malaysians will never forget the taste . It is one of the best menu for high tea (why high tea anyway ?) or even at times for breakfast. I remember a picture I have saved a long time ago about a boy selling hot fried banana quite close to a primary school in Kluang.

As I approach the young boy , dressed in a worn out t shirt and shorts smilling at me giving me the gestures , wanna buy some sir ! His mum was busy frying some other extra bananas and grinned as she plough and hit the hot pan.

It was 10 am and I ask myself why isn't that boy at school ? While the boy busy sorting out the goods into a plastic container , I dared my self asking the multi billion ringgit question to the mother . With a smile she hesitated. And after much blinking and smilling back , she began her story with small drops of tears starts to stream down her face.

I was amazed and taken back. Dunno how to react and a bit confused. I guess I won't be able to tell it out loud here. But the fact is I am begining to feel much more alive and at times ask myself why I should be miserable about my life when a young man struggling to sell some goreng pisang to support her mother and his family.

Always strikes me when I gazed at goreng pisang. The young boy and the mother , no need for any digital camera. I bet you can put it up there as one of the tragic scene of Malaysian the so called developing country....